Why Say No to Innovation QNS?
Innovation QNS is a $2 billion development project which will turn Astoria into a cold, sanitized copy of midtown Manhattan. It is not environmentally friendly nor is it affordable or accessible to most Astorians.
Key aspects of Innovation QNS:
- Five towers above 20 stories – the tallest at 27 stories – and multiple others above 10 stories, adding 2800 luxury apartments that are well above market rate.
- Most apartments will be studios and 1-bedrooms that cost more than $3000.*
- The “affordable” housing units offered are the minimum legally required 25% of units needed to comply with the Mandatory Inclusionary Housing (MIH) program.
- Developers have not done outreach to local immigrant residents and the majority of small business owners on and in the immediate development area
- There is NO new public space: the open space is all privately owned. It is publicly accessible, but enclosed among the development’s buildings.
- This project will bring 7000 new residents and a proposed 1300+ parking spaces. This means even more cars clogging up the neighborhood bringing more pollution and less safety to our streets.
- It will increase traffic, pollution, and put a strain on existing public transit, like the Steinway Street M/R subway.
- NO improvements will be made to any of the surrounding infrastructure, including the power grid and public transportation: the developers do NOT have to pay for added infrastructure.
- This project will bring huge profits to the developers at the expense of working class Astorians. Billionaires will be getting tax breaks from this project for 30+ years!
*Based on current market rate pricing for BedRock Real Estate apartments.